Cockroaches are one of the most unsightly pests to invade your home. They’re also among the most numerous – there are over 4,500 of these species globally, about 30 of which bother people. The last thing you want is to just be going about your day around your home only to find a roach crawling on your floors. These creatures are ugly, but they’re also large, most can fly, and they can move quickly. They’re mostly nocturnal and like to hide in areas you don’t pay attention to; you may not even realize you have a cockroach problem until you see a dead one in your cabinets.
The roaches that you see are only the tip of the iceberg. For every roach that you find, there can be thousands camping out in your walls, furniture, pipes, and other areas throughout your home. At Onyx Lawn & Pest Control, we understand how unsettling pest infestations are. That’s why we offer cockroach control for all different types of these roaches. Our expert team will identify them infesting your home and utilize the appropriate measures to eliminate them.
Types of Cockroaches in Utah
There are four main types of these roaches in Utah, including:
How Do Cockroaches Enter Your Home?
Cockroaches love dark, dirty, damp areas, such as compost piles and around trashcans. They’ll eat both food and non-food materials. While they gravitate towards dirty areas with excessive moisture, even the cleanest home can have roaches. This is because they aren’t exclusively attracted to moisture and dirt, but also shelter from the outside elements. If you have worn siding or window frames, they can enter your home and find a warm, humid place to hide.
Signs Of Cockroaches
Since cockroaches are nocturnal and like to frequent areas you don’t pay much attention to, you’ll likely notice signs of these creatures before you actually see a live or dead roach in your home. If you see signs of cockroaches, it’s best to call Onyx Lawn & Pest Control before the situation gets out of hand.
Some signs of cockroaches to look out for include:
- Damage. It’s common to find these roaches in your pantry, in the food itself or in other signs, like boxes with holes in them. In addition to food, cockroaches will also eat other organic materials, such as your leather boots.
- Unusual odors. These creatures in large quantities produce a musty smell that lingers around items they’ve been around. If you smell something musty, this can signal a significant cockroach problem.
- Egg casings. If you see egg casings, call Onyx Lawn & Pest Control as soon as possible. These egg casings can hold multiple eggs. They vary based on the species of cockroach.
- Smear marks. These roaches leave behind brown smear marks in areas they’ve been active where water is plentiful.
- Droppings. If you see a dusting of black droppings of varying lengths throughout your home, this can indicate a cockroach problem.
- Shed skin. Cockroaches shed their skin 5-8 times as they mature. You can often find these in areas they’ve been sheltering.
- Dead cockroaches. This is the most sure sign you have a cockroach infestation on your hands. You can find cockroaches in darker areas, such as your cabinets.
- Cockroach sightings in the day. If you see cockroaches while the sun is out, you have a serious cockroach problem on your hands and need to take care of it as soon as possible. This is because seeing cockroaches during the day means their nest has grown large enough to push some out of hiding and into the open.
Are Cockroaches Dangerous?
In general, cockroaches are more annoying than they are dangerous. They rarely bite, aren’t venomous, and aren’t aggressive. However, they can contaminate your food, clothing, furniture, floors, and more as they forage through your home. This can make them dangerous, as the bacteria, parasites, and diseases they can carry can spread to your food and surfaces, causing sickness. These roaches are known carriers of several serious diseases, such as salmonella and E. Coli, which are both painful and even potentially fatal. They can also trigger respiratory issues.
Getting Rid Of Cockroaches
Cockroaches are extremely difficult to eliminate, which is why you need professional help, such as that which Onyx Lawn & Pest Control offers. These pests reproduce very quickly and are constantly adapting, so control methods need to adapt with them. We provide effective cockroach control to protect Utah homes and businesses from infestations. Our comprehensive services are customized to you and your needs to ensure maximum effectiveness.