Are you tired of your yard being held hostage by a constant cloud of mosquitoes? Do you yearn to be able to have a barbeque or simply spend time outside without worrying about that incessant buzzing and itchy red bites? Onyx Lawn & Pest Control provides mosquito abatement services to grant you relief and allow you to reclaim your yard. We’ll help you enjoy your little slice of nature in peace and comfort. Our mosquito abatement programs are customized specifically to you and your needs to ensure the longest-lasting results.
What Is Mosquito Abatement?
Mosquitos are tiny flying insects, about ⅛ of an inch long. Contrary to popular belief, not all mosquitoes want to drink your blood. Only the female mosquitoes bite you to draw your blood. They do this to use the proteins from your blood to produce viable eggs. Mosquitos typically feed on sugar and plant nectars, which means that people with high-sugar diets are more likely to be bitten by mosquitoes.
While mosquitoes are generally regarded as a spring-summertime annoyance, especially during the perfect dusk hours, they can be quite dangerous. Mosquitoes carry some of the worst diseases humans can experience, from yellow fever to West Nile virus. Because of this, mosquito bites cause more human deaths per year than any other species. Even if they do not transmit disease, people can experience severe side effects from their bites that necessitate medical attention. Mosquitoes also present a danger to your pets, as they can carry parasitic heartworms that can be fatal to dogs and cats.
Mosquito abatement reduces your exposure to mosquitoes, preventing their reproduction, controlling their larvae, and eliminating adult mosquitos. With Onyx Lawn & Pest Control’s mosquito abatement services, you’ll be able to relax outside without the annoyance and health risks mosquitoes cause.
How Does Mosquito Abatement Work?
One of the most common questions we get is whether or not mosquito abatement works to control the mosquito population around your home. Mosquito abatement does indeed work. However, it can’t eliminate your problem. It would be impossible to get every single egg, larvae, and mosquito on your property. However, mosquito abatement greatly reduces the mosquito population around your home, providing much-needed protection and relief.
Mosquito abatement works in several ways. Onyx Lawn & Pest Control customizes your treatment plan to your needs. This includes:
- Yard inspection. Our technicians will conduct a thorough inspection of your yard to determine your problem areas, pest activity, and standing water. Stagnant water is a siren song mosquitoes can’t resist. Mosquitoes love warm, damp areas by water and use said areas to lay their eggs.
- A treatment plan tailored to your needs. Depending on your property, your mosquito abatement service may vary. Treatments will be applied where mosquitos rest, such as your eaves and overhangs, standing water, mulch and landscape beds, and other places.
- Application of products to control the mosquito population. This includes your current mosquito problem and the creation of a barrier to keep future mosquitoes at bay. We spray problem areas with anti-mosquito foggers that eliminate adult mosquitos and prevent eggs from hatching.
How We Treat Mosquitoes
Our mosquito control treatments are both fast-acting and long-lasting. Given that it’s impossible to eliminate mosquitoes, we recommend a treatment plan to ensure that the treatment strategy remains effective.
The main mosquito treatment techniques we use include larvicide, source reduction, and fogging.
- Larvicide targets mosquitos while they’re still larvae.
- Source reduction is removing potential breeding spots or making them unusable for mosquitoes.
- Fogging spray quickly eliminates adult mosquitoes.
While we can’t eliminate your mosquito population, we can promise a significant reduction in their numbers. Mosquitoes can lay up to 100 eggs at once, so we recommend annual mosquito sprays to reduce the number of hatching mosquitos.
When to Spray for Mosquitos in Utah
Utah is home to ever-changing weather, making targeting the larvae stage unique. We find the best time to spray for mosquitos is in the evenings, after sundown. Mosquitos are the most active in the evenings, so most homeowners start using aerosol fogging. We do annual treatments to target the larvae stage and kill the mosquitos before they become a problem.
However, mosquitos are known to populate quickly, so we do not guarantee all mosquitos will be destroyed. Some things that can cause mosquito problems to worsen include:
- Standing water in pools can breed mosquitos quickly.
- Tree holes can lead to mosquito growth.
Pesticide spray for mosquitos helps our team reduce the number of mosquitoes that populate within the standing water of tree holes and pools.
Contact Onyx Lawn & Pest Control to learn more about our services or schedule your mosquito abatement today. If you get any outbreaks in between treatments, contact us, and we will have a technician come out and adjust our methods accordingly to ensure that you’re able to enjoy your yard in peace.